RSS

Costumed Gals

Kyra's post at Little Gajin in the Big City

Above is a link to Kyra's post. She wrote extremely succinctly about our experience together in Japan on a wonderful Saturday afternoon. Kyra lives and works in Japan. She was nice enough to spend the day with me, starting extremely early in the morning afterworking till late at night! I deeply appreciated it! We went to Takarazuka and we got B-seki. The Tachimi in the back were all sold out when we got to the window. But honestly it's pretty modestly priced to get B-seki anyways. Also it was a weekend of the retirement of 4 stars!I liked my seat mates this time. I had Kyra one side and a really excited Japanese girl on my left. I think I could be obsessed with Takarazuka and go to every show if I ever lived there.. Kyra really spun a different side of things. Even living in Japan for many years, her perspective is so uniquely her and hasn't molded to the society around her. Though she is like the perfect size, petite and oh-so delicate, for Japan. I did have to marvel aloud to her about it! Plus she spoke Japanese super well! I'm so jealous! Hehe. We each had a different favorite part. Her favorite was the first story part of the show and mine was the over-the-top dancing & costume at the second part. We also visited both shops. I am still kicking myself for not buying the cd of the show!
We also went to the maid cafe. I'm glad she wanted to go and suggested it, because I had not previously planned to visit one. It made us braver to go together. When we were looking around we had a heck of a time finding one. Pinafore was right in front of the subway/train station
in a little area ringing a smoker's concrete park area. The maids were awful cute and we waited in a mini line to get in. Unfortunately they did smoke in there and the non-smoking was right in the center of the smokers? Weirdness. And we got to see a maid's bloomers and twittered because they were so cute and pink! Our maid Mary wrote on our home rice ( omelet filled with fried rice and chicken bits) with Ketchup and in our lattes with chocolate syrup. Kyra was worried we would be the only females besides the maids in there, but amazingly there was another couple of girls at the table next to us and a male-female couple that came in a little later. Plus the guys were really focused on their favorite maid, so I never felt we were paid any nevermind, even not being Japanese.
An oddity I did notice is the male-female couple, the female was very dominant. She got pictures with the maid, threw a napkin on the floor and made the guy pick it, after telling him a viscious voice to pick it up.Totally dominatrix style! Kyra missed this because her back was to them and I was at the angle to see something odd happening behind her. Not that there aren't such couples in USA too.
We also got a map and looked at a costume book of all the different costumes of the maid cafes. The book was hugely thick and varied. Some look like Japanese style, shrine girl style, long old fashion maide dresses, even more pink frilly style, just amazing. Also we found the area was crawling with maid cafes. We manage to see them pop out of the woodworks when we were walking back. It was a fun time and I loved hanging otu Kyra! Plus she has impeccible style and a great purse.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment